Conditional sentences is “ kalimat bersyarat or pengandaian “. This conditional has two clauses. That are main clause and sub clause, which connect with the use “if”.
Sentences is the smallest unit of language in oral or written form that expresses a complete thought.
In sub clause usually use conjunctions if, provided that, on condition that or unless. Sub clause may precede the main clause or otherwise. Conditional are generally divided into three types. Conditional sentences have meaning “if”. Three types of conditional sentences consists of :
– First conditional ( future conditional sentences )
– Second conditional ( present conditional sentences )
– Third conditional ( present conditional sentences )
FIRST CONDITIONAL ( FUTURE CONDITIONAL SENTENCES )
Conditional is used to presuppose something that has not happened in the present, that may happen or not happen in the future and will occur when the conditions clause filled.
Future conditional pattern is :
- If i see Mary, I will tell her
- If Tara is free tomorrow, he will invite her
- If Santi invites me, I will attend her party next Sunday
- If they do not pass their exam, their teacher will be sad
- If it rains tomorrow, will you stay at home
- If it rains tomorrow, what will you do ?
Fact is in sentences contruction which means it may actually happen if the conditions are filled. Therefore the meaning of this sentences is referred to as possibility.
The future conditional sentences fact pattern is :
The arrangement pattern of the sample sentences above, the meaning can be described as :
- I may see Mary that I may tell her
- Tara may be free tomorrow that he may invite her
- Santi may invites me, I may attend her party next Sunday
- The may not pass their exam that their teace may be sad
- It may rain tomorrow, may you stay at home ?
- It may rain tomorrow, what may you do ?
SECOND CONDITIONAL ( PRESENT CONDITIONAL SENTENCE )
Present conditionals is used to presppose something as opposed to the ralty in the present, so it is not possible or unlikely to occur in the present.
Present conditional pattern is :
- If I married John, I would be happy
- If Ram became rich, she would marry him
- If it snowed next july, would you be surprised ?
- If it snowed next July, what would you do ?
Fact the main clause is said to have never happened because the sentences was said in terms of the clause has not fill, therefore this sentences called as unreal past.
Tenses for the meaning of the sentences was changed. The present conditional fact pattern is :
The arrangement pattern of the sample sentences above ( present conditional ), the meaning can be described as :
- I don’t Marry John that I am not happy
- Ram doesn’t become rich that she will not marry him
- It doesn’t snow next July, are you surprised ?
- It doesn’t snow next July, what do you do ?
THIRD CONDITIONAL ( PAST CONDITIONAL SENTENCES )
Conditonal is used to presppose something as contrary to fact in the past, so it is not possible at the present time.
Past Conditional pattern is :
- If I had seen mary, I would have told her
- If Tara had been free yesterday, I would have invited her
- If they had not passed their exam, their teacher would have been sad
- If it had rained yesterday, would you have stayed at home ?
- If it had rained yesterday, what would you have done ?
Facts in the main clause is said to have never happened because conditional sentences was said in terms of the clause has never fill. Because stated in the past tenses. This sentences called as unreal past.
Tenses for the meaning of the sentences was changed. The past conditional fact pattern is :
- I didn’t see Mary that I would not tell her
- Tara wasn’t free yesterday that I would not invite her
- They didn’t pass their exam that their teacher would not be sad
- It didn’t rain yesterday did you stay at home ?
- It didn’t rain yesterday what did you do ?
CONDITIONAL WITHOUT “IF”
- Form inversion
- Past conditional sentences
- Present conditional sentences use “were”
- Not placed after subject
- Sub sentences may precede the main sentences
- Were the political condition better, they would invest in our country
- Had the company paid them better, they would not have gone on strike
Zero pattern is :
- If you heat ice, it melts
- If I miss the 8 o’clock bus, I am late for work
- If I am late for work, my boss gets angry